Lemon Rice with YES Sona Delight Rice
Lemon Rice is a vibrant, flavourful dish that is very easy to make. Non-spicy and filling, it can be relished by anyone – from children to the elderly. This brightly coloured rice dish can be made quickly with simple ingredients and YES Thanjavur Ponni Rice, making it a favourite for tiffins and picnics!
Ingredients: 1 cup raw rice, 6-7 tbsp lemon juice, salt to taste.
Tempering: 1 tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 8-10 curry leaves, 1 1/2 tsps urad dal, 1 tbsp channa dal, 2 dry chillis, deseeded and cut into small pieces, pinch of asafoetida, 1/2 tsp grated ginger, 2 green chillis, slit, turmeric.
Garnish (optional): Finely chopped coriander, Grated coconut, 3-4 tbsp roasted peanuts.
- Wash and soak YES Thanjavur Ponni rice for 20 mins
- Heat lots of water (about 3-4 lts) in a large cooking pot. When the water just starts to boil, add the rice and stir lightly.
- Cover and let rice cook in this water, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, strain the rice and immediately wash it under running cold water. Add a tsp of oil and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan or pressure cook. Add mustard seeds.
- Once they sputter, add the curry leaves, dals, green chillies and red chillies. Saute till curry leaves turn crisp and dals start turning golden.
- Add asafoetida, grated ginger and turmeric. Saute till the raw smell of ginger is no more
- Add rice and combine everything gently
- Turn off heat and add the lemon juice and salt, combining once again to mix well. Adjust the lemon juice to your taste
- Garnish with grated coconut, roasted peanuts and coriander before serving.