Kara Pongal with YES Pongal raw rice
A favourite staple among South Indian families, Pongal is easily made and quickly relished. Kara Pongal (or savoury Pongal) is one of the many types of Pongals popular in Southern kitchens of India. As with all pongals, the type and cooking of rice is all important to give you the perfect taste and consistency. This recipe uses YES Sona Pongal Rice to create delectable Kara Pongal!
Ingredients: 1 cup of YES Sona Pongal Rice, ¼ cup Moong dal, Water (4 cups), Salt (to taste), Ginger (finely chopped), Asafoetida (a pinch).
For Seasoning: Ghee (2 tbsp), Whole Pepper (2 tsp), Cumin seeds (2 tsp), Curry leaves , Asafoetida (a pinch), Cashews (6-8).
- Wash dal & rice.
- In a cooker, add half the ghee.
- Add the ginger & asafoetida.
- Sauté for a little while.
- Add the whole water & bring to boil.
- To this, add YES Sona Pongal rice, dal & salt.
- Leave it on for 4 whistles on medium flame.
- Let the pressure get released on its own.
- Open & mix dal/rice mixture well.
- For seasoning, use remaining ghee.
- Add pepper; allow to splutter.
- Turn off the flame.
- Add cashews till they turn golden.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Round off with curry leaves & asafoetida.
- Add to the pongal.
- Serve immediately.